Here’s what the press has to say about Ms. Mehra:
Vatsala Mehra captivated the audience with her astonishing vocal range and stirring bass notes in classics such as Mast Kalandar and Chhap Tilak, besides thumri and dadra at the prestigious 12th annual Shaniwarwada Dance and Music Festival held in Pune.
In a firm and yet fluty voice, the artiste revived the halcyon days of Begum Akhtar and Saigal.
Her mellifluous voice along with youthful and bubbly vitality in her renditions has a magnetic attraction for the young and old alike.
Husky expressive voice.
Passionate sensuous voice.
Leaves her audience awestruck with her energetic singing
Breathes life in to her ghazals
Captivates the audience with a scintillating concert
A masterpiece of emotional expression
…clear pure voice sounds like Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez
…Every Indian owes her a debt of gratitude in the same measure owed to artistes like Lata, Asha, Talat or Parveen Sultana
Veritable feast for ghazal aficionados at the Kennedy Center
…outstanding ghazal singer
Check the following links for more in-depth articles about Ms. Mehra
- With Sufi tunes, Vatsala Mehra debuts at Wolf Trap, 2015
- History made, First Indian American to perform at Wolf Trap Barns DC Metro, 2014
- Vatsala Mehra’s new Sufi number ‘Laleiyan’- Southasia.typepad.com, 2014
- Community’s ghazal queen wows aficionados”, India Abroad, March 2011
- Vatsala Mehra storms Kennedy Center in encore melodious performance” ,Express India,March 2011
- Vatsala Mehra, “Washingtonian Ghazal Queen” All set to Rock Kennedy Center’s Showcase maximumINDIA, Express India,February 2011
- Vatsala Mehra receives a heartwarming welcome by audiences in Pune and New Delhi, India” during her India Tour’2010
- Kennedy Center comes Alive at Ghazal Queen “ Vatsala Mehra’s” Encore Concert , India This Week, October 2009
- Vatsala Mehra’s Performance at Kennedy Center, India Abroad, April 1999
- Ghazals With Verve and Vivacity, Express India, April 1999
- Vatsala Mehra: In Fine Form, Express India, March 1999
- Composite culture through ghazals, The Hindustan Times, March 1999
- Ghazal concert by Mehra set at Kennedy Center, India Abroad, March 1999
- Melody in the Air, Bangalore, April 1995
- Nasheeli’s Indian Pop, The Washington Post, March 1992
- Singer of Verve & Harmony, Express India, March 1992
- Vatsala Mehra: “Nashili Peshkash”, Express India, April 1991
- Kalyanji Releases Vatsala’s OLE OLE Album at CBI Party, Box Office, September 1989
- Vatsala Mehra – The Washington Housewife Sets a New Trend, Star & Style, G.B., November 1988
- Vatsala: New Start on Ghazal Horizon, Cine Advance, Krishna, October 1988
- Vatsala Mehra: Glamour in ghazals, Screen, October 1988
- Vatsala Mehra, Eastern Times, August 1987″, Express India, April 1991
- Vatsala’s ‘pop’ fling!, Mid-day, July 1987
- Best woman ghazal singer award, The Times of India, September 1986
- Singer helped by tape piracy, Gulf Daily News, December 1985
- Vatsala, ‘ghazal’ singer, Times of Oman, December 1985